a friend asked my feelings, here is what I had to say:
My candid feeling is that this recent election is just a reordering of seats on the titanic.
My practical opinion on the matter is that Bibi’s program of a bottom up/economic focus on the “Palestinian” issues is the only plan in town that has a chance of shifting our paradigm away from the futile top down negotiating strategy that has struggled in vain to bring us to a final status agreement leaving much death and destruction in its path.
However, though Bibi’s notion is superior to Livni’s “negotiating the valley from the summit” (in secrecy no less, and throwing caution to the wind), it is merely a superior hypothesis that will be tested and indeed will fail in the long run.
Issues to consider:
How tough will the Obama administration be on Bibi?
Will Kadima choose to undermine Bibi through formal and/or informal channels?
Will sectoral interests within the multi party cabinet undermine progress?
Will Bibi does bolster the economy?
What will his policy on Iran actually translate into?
How will Bibi deal with the notion of talks with Syria and concessions on the Golan Heights?
There are other important questions to consider, but these are the most basic.
News, Opinion, & Information Resources:
- American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG)
- Asia Times Online
- Business Ethics Center of Jerusalem
- Dhimmitude - Bat Yeor
- Dow Jones - Marketwatch
- Drudge Report
- Eretz Israel Forever!
- Expert Village
- Foreign Policy
- Fox News - 2008 US Presidential Election Site
- George Will archive
- Globes - Israel's Business Arena
- Google News
- How Stuff Works
- Israel National News
- Israel National Radio
- Jewish Media Resources
- Machon Shilo
- Michael Yon - Online Magazine
- National Review
- Nefesh B'Nefesh
- Nuclear War Survival Skills
- Ohr Olam - The International Center for Biblical Zionism
- Order Challot from Sderot!
- Politico - Political News
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio (great stuff for free)
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio 2 (more great stuff for free)
- Shelanu: Direct Representation for Israel
- Standing Together - Help Brighten the Day of An Israeli Soldier
- State of Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- Tanach Study Center
- The Economist
- The Federation of American Scientists (FAS)
- The Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center
- The Israel Center for Social & Economic Progress
- The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- The Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS)
- The Jewish & Israeli Blog awards
- The Legal Project
- The Middle East Forum
- The New Republic
- The Shalem Center
- The State of Judea
- Torah Umadda Journal Entry: The Last Word in Jewish Theology? Maimonidies' Thirteen Principles, By Marc B. Shapiro
- Tradition: The Journal of Orthodox Jewish
- We Should Not Forget - Israeli Casualties of Terror
- Whiskey and Gunpowder