This really grinds my gears!
Without fail, any place in which I wish to eat a meal, sandwich, or even minuscule snack of any kind some Israeli comes out of the woodwork to tell be B’teyavon! (Bon appétit).
I can be on a bus, train, a hike, or alone on top of the Hermon and out of nowhere, just as I am about to eat anything out jumps some weirdo and his B’teyavon.
There are those who might find this charming (the same obnoxious new Oleh Ba’al Teshuvahesque people who love to tell you how much they love it when it rains here). To me, its kind of feels like someone interrupting a sneeze just as you’re about to let it rip.
I hate it.
Why? Because of how ridiculously ironic it is and the absurd function it serves to the distorted Israeli psyche.
The same Israeli who: pisses on public tree lawns, who needlessly drives like an inspired lunatic and curses your mother’s mother when you get in his way for a quarter second, who litters with a passion, walks around in his boxer shorts on a hot day while abusing small animals, who spits sunflower seeds everywhere he eats them, who recklessly spews religious bigotry, who lies cheats and steals from unsuspecting tourists six ways to Sunday, who cuts in every line imaginable, who smokes at bus stops next to pregnant women and young children, curses like a Mohammedan sailor, and VOTES FOR EHUD OLMERT has the nerve to tell ME B’teyavon!!!
I believe that the Israeli, aware that it is lacking any unique sense of culture or etiquette (alla Ahad Ha'am) has only recourse to invoke what is actually a crude insult in what may overtly appear as its single expression of good manners.
Notice how it is always and only stated once the food is about to enter your mouth, its like they wait with baited breath just to irk you with polite offense.
You see what the Israeli really means is: F**K YOU!
They are just so socially despicable that they have found a method for insulting you with what should otherwise serve as their only redeeming quality, but rather than bow to the expectation that they do as such, they remain consistently vulgar.
News, Opinion, & Information Resources:
- American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG)
- Asia Times Online
- Business Ethics Center of Jerusalem
- Dhimmitude - Bat Yeor
- Dow Jones - Marketwatch
- Drudge Report
- Eretz Israel Forever!
- Expert Village
- Foreign Policy
- Fox News - 2008 US Presidential Election Site
- George Will archive
- Globes - Israel's Business Arena
- Google News
- How Stuff Works
- Israel National News
- Israel National Radio
- Jewish Media Resources
- Machon Shilo
- Michael Yon - Online Magazine
- National Review
- Nefesh B'Nefesh
- Nuclear War Survival Skills
- Ohr Olam - The International Center for Biblical Zionism
- Order Challot from Sderot!
- Politico - Political News
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio (great stuff for free)
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio 2 (more great stuff for free)
- Shelanu: Direct Representation for Israel
- Standing Together - Help Brighten the Day of An Israeli Soldier
- State of Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- Tanach Study Center
- The Economist
- The Federation of American Scientists (FAS)
- The Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center
- The Israel Center for Social & Economic Progress
- The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- The Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS)
- The Jewish & Israeli Blog awards
- The Legal Project
- The Middle East Forum
- The New Republic
- The Shalem Center
- The State of Judea
- Torah Umadda Journal Entry: The Last Word in Jewish Theology? Maimonidies' Thirteen Principles, By Marc B. Shapiro
- Tradition: The Journal of Orthodox Jewish
- We Should Not Forget - Israeli Casualties of Terror
- Whiskey and Gunpowder