Jewish Activism is good in that it provides a (productive?) forum for young Jews to express their independence and Nationalism. A lot of it though is masturbatory and totally meaningless.
By activism I mean any form of demonstration or protest or which carries with it the potential for (physical or legal) damage to ones person, property, or reputaion.
I find highly dubious the motives of any leader or organization manager who demands sacrifice from their followers/pupils. I find them too often to be little more than extremist job seekers.
Many extremists are not legitimate believers in their cause and almost anyone involved in youth/student organization is a false believer and the worst form of exploitative opportunistic job seeker, because they will often put naive young people in harms way (for their own advancement), either physically or legally, the repercussions of which that young activist may not be able to fully appreciate for many years.
Unfortunately, so many of the young people who led the anti disengagement efforts were not true believers in their own cause.
their activism was an effort towards expressing both the independent and rebellious tendencies of adolescence and youth. this is why the fervor of the generation of the disengagement will dissipate over time...and disappear...leaving so many wondering what ever happened to all those
ideological young people who sat in the roads, burned tires, and were beaten by police back in the early 2000's.
Real activism takes adults. this is what set Moshe Feiglin apart from anyone else as an activist during the Oslo years, he was a grown man who became his own activist movement, and attracted other adults to do the same by showing them very simply how easy and rewarding it could be for them personally (my interpretation).
Young Jews need to learn to become assets to their community in their professional and personnel lives, not how to get arrested. That's for the adults to do.
Jewish activism is a weapon.
Weapons are not for children or the naive of this world to throw about carelessly.
That's for the men to do.
News, Opinion, & Information Resources:
- American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG)
- Asia Times Online
- Business Ethics Center of Jerusalem
- Dhimmitude - Bat Yeor
- Dow Jones - Marketwatch
- Drudge Report
- Eretz Israel Forever!
- Expert Village
- Foreign Policy
- Fox News - 2008 US Presidential Election Site
- George Will archive
- Globes - Israel's Business Arena
- Google News
- How Stuff Works
- Israel National News
- Israel National Radio
- Jewish Media Resources
- Machon Shilo
- Michael Yon - Online Magazine
- National Review
- Nefesh B'Nefesh
- Nuclear War Survival Skills
- Ohr Olam - The International Center for Biblical Zionism
- Order Challot from Sderot!
- Politico - Political News
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio (great stuff for free)
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio 2 (more great stuff for free)
- Shelanu: Direct Representation for Israel
- Standing Together - Help Brighten the Day of An Israeli Soldier
- State of Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- Tanach Study Center
- The Economist
- The Federation of American Scientists (FAS)
- The Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center
- The Israel Center for Social & Economic Progress
- The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- The Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS)
- The Jewish & Israeli Blog awards
- The Legal Project
- The Middle East Forum
- The New Republic
- The Shalem Center
- The State of Judea
- Torah Umadda Journal Entry: The Last Word in Jewish Theology? Maimonidies' Thirteen Principles, By Marc B. Shapiro
- Tradition: The Journal of Orthodox Jewish
- We Should Not Forget - Israeli Casualties of Terror
- Whiskey and Gunpowder