Recommended reading for the Day of Atonement:
1. Days of Awe, Edited by S.Y. Agnon. Its a essentially an anthology of religious writings and commentary relating to the high holy days. Its very good. inspirational, interesting, informative. Strongly recommended for orthodox and non-Orthodox alike.
2. www.tanach.org. Print up anything they have about the high holy days. I also recommend the shiur on parshat Hazinu. This is great Torah, written by someone who is orthodox and really uses his moyach. Strongly recommended for the orthodox reader and for the highly intelligent non-orthodox reader who maintains an interest in orthodox theology.
Recommended activities for Yom Kippur eve:
1. Do kapparot in Geulah (Mea Shearim) in Jerusalem, find yourself a good shochet who holds the blade in his teeth like a merciless pirate!
2. Ritual immersion at the beach (most cities have separate beaches for that very personal nude dunking) and/or in a natural spring mikve like liftah in Jerusalem or the Arizal's mikve in Tzfat.
3. Give Charity to the poor of your city (which takes precedence over any other charity according to the Talmud).
4. Buy an Artscrol inter-linear Machzor (they are excellent. especially for the long amidah viduy prayers).
5. drink lots today so you don't dehydrate tomorrow. I have been there and it sucks.
I hope its a good one for us all.
Gmar Hatima Tova
News, Opinion, & Information Resources:
- American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG)
- Asia Times Online
- Business Ethics Center of Jerusalem
- Dhimmitude - Bat Yeor
- Dow Jones - Marketwatch
- Drudge Report
- Eretz Israel Forever!
- Expert Village
- Foreign Policy
- Fox News - 2008 US Presidential Election Site
- George Will archive
- Globes - Israel's Business Arena
- Google News
- How Stuff Works
- Israel National News
- Israel National Radio
- Jewish Media Resources
- Machon Shilo
- Michael Yon - Online Magazine
- National Review
- Nefesh B'Nefesh
- Nuclear War Survival Skills
- Ohr Olam - The International Center for Biblical Zionism
- Order Challot from Sderot!
- Politico - Political News
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio (great stuff for free)
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio 2 (more great stuff for free)
- Shelanu: Direct Representation for Israel
- Standing Together - Help Brighten the Day of An Israeli Soldier
- State of Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- Tanach Study Center
- The Economist
- The Federation of American Scientists (FAS)
- The Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center
- The Israel Center for Social & Economic Progress
- The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- The Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS)
- The Jewish & Israeli Blog awards
- The Legal Project
- The Middle East Forum
- The New Republic
- The Shalem Center
- The State of Judea
- Torah Umadda Journal Entry: The Last Word in Jewish Theology? Maimonidies' Thirteen Principles, By Marc B. Shapiro
- Tradition: The Journal of Orthodox Jewish
- We Should Not Forget - Israeli Casualties of Terror
- Whiskey and Gunpowder