Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Pollard and Israelis
Pollard...Pollard, Pollard, Pollard Pollard Pollard....
The only way the Israeli government will request Pollard be released (as if that would make a difference) would be if significant amount of the Israeli public would be willing to base their Knesset vote on the topic. If Israeli would only elect a one issue Pollard party (to at least a 61 seat majority) then there might be a chance that party wouldn't turn its back on the voters and do something.
However, Israelis will only believe that pollard is an important enough issue to even consider pursuing if the politicians convince them it is, in the same Orwellian fashion that they have convinced most Israelis that Oslo was awesome and that Abu Mazen is Mahatma Gandhi.
SO it will never happen, Israeli's will never care about Pollards release. Certainly not enough to make it happen. And politicians will never really do anything about it.
This is all old hat though.
Convincing Israelis that they should care about Pollard is like trying to convince them to care about littering, or saving the environment, or driving too fast, or not peeing in public, or shwarma vendors about hygiene...etc, etc, etc.....all important issues, but none of which really take primacy over the fact that a solid third of this country 's workers earn under 3500 NIS a month and are too busy earning their daily bread to care about an Israeli agent stuck in the US as a result of what are often portrayed as his dubious intentions.
I would be surprised if a sample of 1 in 100 across this country knew who Pollard actually was...most of the people who know and really care are youth, Olim, and extremists, which to be hosent dont
count politically for very much. Youth grow up, olim get tired, and extremists are marginal and discredited. If you really care about pollard your probably one of these 3 unfortunately.
He's our man, so we should get him out.
News, Opinion, & Information Resources:
- American-Israel Demographic Research Group (AIDRG)
- Asia Times Online
- Business Ethics Center of Jerusalem
- Dhimmitude - Bat Yeor
- Dow Jones - Marketwatch
- Drudge Report
- Eretz Israel Forever!
- Expert Village
- Foreign Policy
- Fox News - 2008 US Presidential Election Site
- George Will archive
- Globes - Israel's Business Arena
- Google News
- How Stuff Works
- Israel National News
- Israel National Radio
- Jewish Media Resources
- Machon Shilo
- Michael Yon - Online Magazine
- National Review
- Nefesh B'Nefesh
- Nuclear War Survival Skills
- Ohr Olam - The International Center for Biblical Zionism
- Order Challot from Sderot!
- Politico - Political News
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio (great stuff for free)
- Rabbi Berel Wein Audio 2 (more great stuff for free)
- Shelanu: Direct Representation for Israel
- Standing Together - Help Brighten the Day of An Israeli Soldier
- State of Israel Central Bureau of Statistics
- Tanach Study Center
- The Economist
- The Federation of American Scientists (FAS)
- The Global Research in International Affairs (GLORIA) Center
- The Israel Center for Social & Economic Progress
- The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- The Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS)
- The Jewish & Israeli Blog awards
- The Legal Project
- The Middle East Forum
- The New Republic
- The Shalem Center
- The State of Judea
- Torah Umadda Journal Entry: The Last Word in Jewish Theology? Maimonidies' Thirteen Principles, By Marc B. Shapiro
- Tradition: The Journal of Orthodox Jewish
- We Should Not Forget - Israeli Casualties of Terror
- Whiskey and Gunpowder